Which blank CD-R disks to use on a Philips stand-alone CD Burner (not a CD-ROM drive)

Hello,

Recently I purchased a Philips CD Burner, that hooks up like a CD player
to my home audio system (as opposed to a CD-ROM drive). I use it to make
music CD-Rs. The instructions specify that I should use only DIGITAL
AUDIO/RECORDABLE CD-R, not just recordable CD-Rs. [Question one: Is this
the difference between AUDIO CD-Rs and DATA (or MEDIA) CD-Rs?]

Some of the DIGITAL AUDIO/RECORDABLE CD-Rs, however, don't work well on my
other CD players. The Maxells don't work; Memorex work, but often the
music gets thready after repeat plays, and about 1 or 2 out of 10 can't
record past track 8. The Sony also work, and seem to be more reliable than
the Memorex. [Question 2: why do some CD-Rs sound thready after repeat
play? This, by the way, happens on my car stereo.]

Question 3: How do I find the best CD-R manufacturer(s), for this burner
as well as for playing on my other CD players? I'd like to try Philips
brand, but can't find them (at least, not the DIGITAL AUDIO/RECORDABLE
CD-Rs that I need). I haven't tried TDK or Fuji. Should I? Question 4: And
does the color make a difference with this type of burner, and – if so --
which manufacturer and which color should I buy?

Quesiton 5: Last question! Where's the best place(s) to buy the disks?
I've been frequenting Best Buy, but I'm not sure I'm getting the best deal.

Thank you!
Sue

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at
http://www.talk21.com