OT: Raga

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cino" <CinoPolnesi@att.net>

> Cino wrote:
> > >  A second "minimal" factor is the constantly recurring tonic
> > > drone, as well as the absence of any harmony.
>
> David replied:
> > All the notes in Raga are in the Tambura.
>
> Again, no flame intended, but the tanpura is traditionally tuned to the
> tonic, its lower octave, and usually the fifth note of the scale, but in
> ragas that exclude the fifth the tanpura gets one string tuned to the
>next
> stronger note, usually the fourth and less commonly the sixth.  However,
due
> to the threads that are placed between the strings and the bridge for the
> characteristic buzzing sound, many overtones are also released, often
> obscuring the main notes in a lovely hazy halo of sound.

That halo of overtones is where all the notes in Raga are.

In the Kirana gharana (for other folks reading this, gharana
is the tradition or school of teaching) concerts I've heard they
always use at least two tamburas using also the 7th as well as tonic
and the other pitches you mention above. It depends on the
Raga as well as who is performing it. Both are equally important.

Where is James Pokorny these days? He's a long time listmember
who plays Sitar and loops.

* David Beardsley
* microtonal guitar
* http://biink.com