Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

>I think it's kind of continuum.
>
>Even with things like hand drums, your interface is in learned technique.

I see two main diferences:

The expression on a "physical" instrument is intuitive, not just for
the musician, but also for the public. I bet that 99% of humanity and
even some animals would interprete soft scratching on a drum skin as
a "tender" sound, while on a electronic instrument, you first have to
establish this "tradition".

Electronic instruments tend to repeat their sound much more than physical
ones.
Usually they base on samples and algorithms that are always the same
or only vary in few distinct parameters, so the sound becomes boring
much quicker.
I experience this especially when playing an electronc piano. It may
sound even better than a accoustic one at first, but after half an
hour, its becoming dry.
My interpretation is that the randomness of the vibration of the
string, which makes it sound slightly differently even if you hit the
key exactly the same way, gives us some space to feel something new.
Further than that: I believe that the Force that created the laws of
nature usually does not violate those laws (exept for miracles...),
so the only space the original Force can influence the happenings
arround us is though what we percieve as random. As a consequence,
wherever we leave something to the accident, we open a space for
divinity.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org