Re: Sitar Looping

   It seems to me that the number of note being played at once by the
drone instrument isn't really the point.  Indian music, by and large,
lacks voice leading and modulation. You can play a C chord or even a C13
chord till the cows come home and it would still be pretty minimalist,
harmonically speaking, if there were no chord changes.
   When I said that it isn't minimalist or repetitive what I meant is
that, despite the strict structure, the variations will come.  And if the
group is good, they may REALLY come.  They never abanden the raga, but
they may add some out notes like a jazz or blues player would do.  And
they dont abanden the tala but generally they don't play it straight over
and over like a loop would.  The variations that you here in classical
indian music reminds me more of Bach than Eno, outside of the harmonic
content anyway.  The main thing though is the comunication.  Its split
second, like in jazz.  As a listener, this element of unpredictability
keeps me grounded, not spacing off and floating away the way I do with
ambient and techno.
-Chris

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com