RE: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

In watching people with electronic equipment lately- loopers included- I
have become acutely aware of the fact that watching someone become
confused,
unsure, or contemplative about what they are doing in the midst of a live
performance SERIOUSLY detracts from my enjoyment of the performance. I have
been there myself- I know what it is like on both sides.

I decided to make a solo demo to get local gigs- but upon using my current
rig quickly realized I will need to practice and carefully organize my
electronic equipment until I don't really have to think about it and the
work on stage will be engaging. I think of Jimmy George's recordings-
bam/bam/bam- no pauses to program gear- no extra bars of repetition created
not by creative choice but by the time required to attend to the "gear". I
still cannot see any way to be less than 2 levels removed at times- meaning
I will have to perform more than 1 action sometimes before you hear/see a
result. (Switch preset on EDP, perform next movement- or switch bank on
foot
controller, then more etc- switch reverb/delay patch and so on)

In any event- it has been a healthy observation/conclusion for me to arrive
at and will ultimately improve my set a great deal.

The moral of the story is: Learn your loopers like you learn your musical
instrument- then take it to the people.

Of course, only my 2 cents.

Cliff