Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments vs. electric instruments

Now, there is a clear distinction between electric and electronic
instruments. Unfortunately those names are not very clear: An electric
instrument picks up a physical vibration while the electronic instrument
generates electronically.

I think we have to make further distinctions of types of electronic
instruments. Samplers are, IMO, poor examples of expressive electronic
instruments (they assume too primative a model, assuming interpolation is
going to work).

Some theremins are quite impressive (Pamalea Kursten is one of my fav
players).

I think one big problem is that, because of the flexibility on some
electronic instruments, they have been pushed into an immative role to
large
extent : "My synth can sound like a flute" syndrom.

Immitation always leaves something to be desired...Guitarists often try to
cop a bowed sound : "I sound like a 'cello" syndrom...it only sounds like
'cello to someone who doesn't listen to much 'cello.

I think a lot of richness has been designed out of electronic instruments
in
a misguided attempt to increase stability/reliability..to try to make the
response linear.
This sort of breaks the regenerative cycle between instrument and player.

Sadly, we see this effect in other areas...sometimes the poor use of
synthetics or plied tops in instruments (there have been good, but also
bad), some very brittle active pickups, guitar amplifiers that are too
dry,
tinny sounding early digital effects.

It reminds me of when one first learns to design a simple
single-transistor
amp stage.  At first it is very simple and clear, then the whole network
of
corrections is added.  now you have successfully created a system that
behaves in a fairly linear manner.

But, that means somebody surfing a signal through it, can't really tell
where they are, you can't play that response "curve" that you find in a
good
instrument be it musical (such as a good bow), or skis, a motorcycle
suspension, or a fly rod