[OT] Violin midi (was average age of the looping community)

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 08:50 PM, Alan Kroeger wrote:

> if I could just get a MIDI
> Violin Pickup that worked, oh well maybe in a few more years. ;-)

You'll have a long wait I think :(
The problem with the violin is that it produces one of the largest
range of sounds/harmonics, and midi pickups (read Zeta) as you have
probably found out just do not work. Latency, ghost notes, no dynamics
etc. etc. I tried one once, and was not impressed.

Jon Rose has a custom midi pickup that he has made for his Hyperstring
project (http://www.jonroseweb.com/f_projects_hyperstring.html) whereby
he uses a midi pickup on the violin to detect the tone, a motion
detector on the bow and a pedal to control the volume. I've never seen
him play, but I think that his ideas are certainly a step in the right
direction.

--
Stuart Wyatt (Solo String Project) - http://SoloString.com