Re: Monitoring for live loops (was Re: looping as a profession)

>Hmm...I see the signal chain you're getting at.  Although, I'm not exactly
>sure how to mix the loop from the post-looper Y with the pre-looper direct
>signal going to the amp.  In any event, this sounds like it would involve
>three A/B/A+B boxes ($$$).  If not using A/B/A+B boxes, wouldn't a bunch
>of
>Y-cables create weird impedence issues (like when you plug two guitars
>into
>hi and lo inputs on a single guitar amp, their volume controls affect the
>volume of one another)?

It may be simpler for me, but not impossible for you to save AB boxes
and mixers:

there are two kinds of Y cables:

from one output to two inputs:
just tie the two (or more) inputs together. I dont see any situation
where that would not work. The volume stays the same.

from two outputs to one input:
use 10kOhm resistors in series with the outputs. You can place them
into the connectors. Better put both of them into the connector that
goes to the input, in most situation you will not hear the difference
though.
Modern equipment has < 1k output and >50k input impedance, so you are
safe to mix many. With some very odd old equipment you may hear some
sound quality loss which mostly can be fixed with a different value
of the resistor.
There is no danger to burn anything.
You have a 6dB volume loss, since half the signal gets lost on the
resistors, but usually you can compensate for that somehow.
You can also use unequal resistors to compensate for unequal output levels.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org