Re: microphones ( was "electric percussion instruments")

At 8:24 AM -0800 2/24/03, Greg House wrote:
>The C1000 has a weak bass response...Records well a "zingy" sounding
>acoustic ...it's too thin sounding for good vocals.
>
>...for all-around stage work, the SM57...Beyer M201 (or even the
>M69) for a more neutral sound. The Audix dynamic mics are nice and
>crisp... Shure SM7 or EV RE20 would give better bass response
>without a lot of feedback issues.

Thanks for the informed opinions.

Does anyone have suggestions for small mics that are suitable for
mounting on instruments? At the moment I'm particularly interested in
something for violin and viola. An obvious problem is the mounting
itself, since it's critical not to mar the instrument in the process.
One solution is a mini-gooseneck that could attach to the chin rest.

Contact mics are another area of interest, particularly for
percussion (back to the main topic) and miscellaneous sounding bodies
such as machines and architectural elements.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com