re: ebay snipes

>From :
Greg House

Subject :
Re: ebay sniping

Date :
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:31:22 -0800 (PST)

--- Denis Aldrich <joy_top@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>I use automatic bidding software. I enter my max on which auction into
the
>>software. If the price doesn't go over my max, the software will bid
for me
>>in the last (selectable)10/5 seconds. This is the only bid made in my
>>behalf.

>Maybe I'm just stupid, but how is this any different then >just using
>ebay's
>built-in max-bid option? If you put a max greater then your >bid, it will
>automatically up your bid when someone outbids you.

>Greg

Well, I can enter my max bid into the software at anytime during the
auction, so for instance 5 days before the end. I never have to go back to
do anything.  No more watching. If I used ebays max feature, every other
bidder knows your interested and making bids which raise the price. I
doubt
if anybody can react to bidding with the consistancy of 10 to 5 seconds
which the software gives. When 2 or more users of the software are on the
same auction the winner is undecided to which software user gets the
piece,
but there is nothing preventing anybody else from winning within the time
constrant of 10/5 secs.

Lets say, using ebays max, you put a max in of $100 on a piece going for
$20. Somebody else ends up being interested and bids $21, yours goes to
$22,
he sees he still doesn't have it and raises to $23, and ebay raises yours
$24. This could go on to say $80 when he gets tired or till he goes over
your max.
(This is the main reason I use the software, some will see how far the
price
can be jacked)

If your max is in bidding software and this guy wants to bid say $21 the
amount never goes up untill the last 10 secs of the aution. so instead of
$80 you get it for $22.