RE: live looping drum machine? - Electribe

I own the Korg Electribe EM-1.  I love the sounds, the pattern editing, and
the real-time and sequencable parameters (filter, res, pitch, etc.).

Peeves, with respect to live applications (I have no idea if the same is
true of the dedicated Electribe drum machines, but I suspect it is, since
the design appears to be very, very similar - btw, the EM-1 is a combo
drum/synth box, with 2 mono analog-style synth voices and 8 drum parts):

- the act of selecting a sound seems to triggers the sound, as audio, when
you push the button to select it.  For example, if I just got done
arranging
a kick drum part, and I want to now arrange a snare drum part to go with
it,
when I select the snare drum part with the button assigned to that sound,
pushing this button actually triggers the snare drum sound to play back,
just like it would if you had a keyboard key or drum pad mapped via midi to
that sound, and you hit the key/pad.  Handy for auditioning sounds, but an
extra consideration when using live.

- many of the deeper pattern/sequence editing parameters (swing,
beats/measure, arrangment of patterns into songs, # of measures per
pattern,
etc.) cannot be modified while the unit is playing back a sequence, you
must
stop playback to change these values.

- you can't filter out everything but the midi clock FROM the EM-1 unit
itself.  For example, when I'm synching my Repeater to the EM-1, if I hit
any of the transport controls (play, stop, etc.), this triggers the
associated transport on the Repeater.  You can filter out other types of
MIDI messages (notes, cc's, etc.) but not the transport controls.  Handy
for
some things, annoying for others.  I'm actually going to try using the midi
clock from my MPX-1 as the master clock so that I can operate the EM-1 more
independently of my Repeater.

But otherwise, I love this little box, it sounds good, very big, albeit a
tad noisy, and has a lot of tweakability for it's size/price.  For whipping
up some arrangements at home or studio, it's a lot of fun.

Mike