Re: slightly ot: the quest for a groovebox

> Dear Loopers,
>
> motivated by recent discussions on the list regarding groove boxes, I do
now
> venture to find the right groove box for me. My expectations would be:

If you want sampling in a groove box, your >only< choices are the Yamaha
RS7000 and the Roland 909. In both these units, sampling is hardly fully
featured - their synth engines are limited in scope.

If you can live without it, there are two great choices, both much cheaper.
In fact, so much cheaper that you could probably pick up a new EDP or a
full
featured sampler for the price difference.

The Yamaha RM1x has the best 'live' sequencer control implementation, but
the sound set is relatively poor - about as good as the Rolands. It's
pretty
much an RS7000 without the sampling, for 1/4 the price (used, that is). The
Emu Command Station series has much better synth engine - more dynamic
sounds, really nice filters,  and better sounding samples to begin with.
And
more knobs :>

Furthermore, you can do live midi recording with the emu and, with the
current OS, revert to saved without stopping the sequencer. Live midi
looping, with undo.

Roland? Don't care for it. The new 909 is a 505 with sampling.You can do
much better with either of the two above, and a used sampler for your own
sounds. I >really< don't like the Roland D/A converter sound, and the
compression on their samples.

I've seen people using 505s and 307s to good effect - (ask Mr. Sottilaro on
this list), but the sequencer's features don't hold a candle to the RM1x,
and the synth engine is nothing compared to the Emu. Furthermore, you are
unlikely to find a 909 used yet, while used Rm1x's can be found for $300 or
less (you have to look - they are popular :>) and Command stations run for
under $500 new.

If you have a laptop, don't forget to investigate Ableton Live and Reason.

> Does the Roland MC-909 really do all of this (i.e. the must-haves)? Is
there
> any (cheaper) alternative to it? Anybody has experience with the MC-909
> (either owns one or has played with one)?

I've tried it in the store, and have used 505 before. Then I got a used
RM1x
to go with my XL-7 and Live. Cheaper, better.

..bIz...

«.· ° ·.groovetronica.com.· ° ·.»