Re: So you want an effects processor (A5000)?

>Matthias-
>
>     Yes, the A5000 is a large box (14" deep), two rack spaces high.  It's
>not that heavy though, compared to the size/weight ratio of the EDP.  Most
>of the box is empty.

it is heavier than the PCM80 and 90 together, I looked that up. But
thats not so important :-)
and: sure, nothing as dense as an EDP :-)

>     You wouldn't be able to record a show on the A4/5000 because the RAM,
>which is what it records into and plays out of, maxes out at 128MB (about
>12
>minutes of stereo 44.1kHz, 16-bit audio).  You also wouldn't be able to
>use
>it as an effects processor and recorder, unless you were using it in mono.
>And even then it would be a weird setup.

in the Yamaha Sampler Handbook they say that if you set the Save
parameter, it records directly to HD and I understood that thus you
can record much longer.

But the routing may be the problem. Could it be possible to simultaneously:
- use one effect section before the EDP
- the other effect section after the EDP
- record at the output of one of the effect sections (either the
original or the looped/effected signal)

or:
- use one effect section before the EDP
- the other effect section after the EDP
- play back a sample

>     Ha ha, no realtime recording/looping either.  Although, you could
>sample
>a loop or a set of loops and put them in the A5000 and trigger them with
>some kind of keyboard/foot controller, which you could then play over, but
>this would require work at home beforehand.

why could I not do that on stage, for example for the bass line that
runs through a whole piece?

>It's not a device that's
>designed for live, on-the-fly usage.  The A5000 does not generate sync
>(and
>will only sync it's LFO [through which you can sync delay effects] to
>external sync), however, so you would need some kind of brain (e.g.
>sequencer) controlling things.  *Or* you could program some kind of click
>into a loop that would only go out of a specific output, and then pipe
>that
>into the BeatSync jack on the EDP.

I would set the trigger for that sample to the note the EDP emits
normally at every loop end!

>Possibilities for abuse are endless.
>

>     What the A5000 excels at is sound mangling.  It does much more
>than just chorus and pitch stuff.  The lo-fidelity/lo-res filters,
>and the
>ring-modulator (TechMod) are my favorite to play with.  But putting those
>through rotating speaker simulators, and pitch shifters make for some
>really
>wacky sounds, too.  And when you start controlling effects parameters with
>footpedals, then you're getting out there.
>
>     I think it's a good box.  It has more than one use.

yes, maybe we did not discover all of them yet!
please keep developping, I did not give up this idea yet!

thank you
Matthias

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org