CHEAP SOLUTION to Breakbeat creation for Live Looping was: BREAKBEATS..................

Viz a vis, a cheap solution to breakbeat creation for live looping:

One really cool thing you can do (especially on a PC with the fabulous
FRUITY LOOPS PRO which, in my humble opinion is the best drum machine in
the
world and just about to get way better........watch for next month's
COMPUTER MUSIC magazine from the UK for a cover article covering it) is to
program really cool drumbeats on a home
computer and then burn them to a CD.

Most mixing boards have stereo ins and it is really cheap to buy a walkman
styled
portable CD player these days.

You can either resample the grooves onto your sampler of just play to the
tracks
(make sure that you have at least ten minutes per groove recorded so you
don't run
out during a long performance) if you are not planning to either loop or
retrigger.

the degree of sophistication that you can get with a program like Fruity
Loops Pro
is so much more vast and FAST!!!! than you can with a hardware drum
machine.

also, unless you have midi syncability with an EDP, a REPEATER or an old
JAMPERSON
you will have to rely on your own rhythmic sense for retriggering anyway.

a lot of people shy away from this approach but I find it can be very
effective in
a live performance to use prerecorded all original drum programming on a
burned CD
at a fraction of the cost of either a dedicated hardware drum maching or
a very expensive laptop*.

Besides, with programs like Fruity Loops and the cool VST drum machines
(and
even REASON) you don't have to take a whole load of processing and
filtering
gear with you to a gig to get a sophisticated and 'breathing' drum track
live.

try it..............you'll like it.

When I get back from my summer tour of Europe and the British Isles in
August, I'll
post a longer post on how to program more realistic drum computer
programming (even if you are an e-bow wielding ambient guitarist who is
rhythmicall challenged..........LOL!) using Fruity Loops if there is enough
interest

later,

Rick Walker
www.looppool.info

*(and hey, while we are at it,  why does the laptop world lag so damned far
behind the desktop computer world in the musical realm?   Inexpensive
stereo firewire solutions for live laptop recording are non-existent so
far,
though there is rumour of a $400 M-Audio stereo firewire box coming out at
the end of March).