Re: Tubes! They do a ____ good!

Well I'm not a huge fan of the THD amps. Something about the one I played through sounded stiff or harsh to me. Anyway for what I intedn to use it for, if it has a preamp, it would HAVE to have an fx loop. What I'd be using it for is running a standalone preamp into. There are lots of standalone preamps and standalone power amps, and there lots of guys who like power amp saturation, so why aren't there any standalone power amps designed to give "vintage" sound and pleasing overdrive? Actually my biggest dilemma of all is how to use rackmount FX with a cranked, low watt, vintage style amp. For example, lets say I want to use a Dr. Z Rt. 66 with an EDP, how the hell can I? That's not even so tricky. What about this: the Rt. 66 through something like the Sherman Filter Bank, or a Pitch Shifter, where being able to have the signal 100% wet or close to it is important? Is there no option for the truly tone-obsessed that will neither compromise the "vintage" tone or the modern processing/mangling capabilites?

 Greg House <ghunicycle@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Kirkland Mack wrote:

> Aren't those Velocettes regular guitar amps though?

Yep.

> I'm just looking for the
> power section, something like a Mesa 2:90 in a much smaller package, like about
> 30 watts, that will produce great power tube saturation when cranked.

How about a THD Univalve? It has a preamp, but you can tailor the preamp gain by
tube selection.

> It also seems like someone should have been smart enough to develop a
> hybrid amp that has an SS preamp with a tube power section by now.

MusicMan had a good sounding hybred amp like that in the 70s or early 80s. SS
preamp, tube power amp. I thought they sounded great, but for whatever reason,
they weren't very popular.

Greg