[looper's] RE: Echoplex sighting

Title: [looper's] RE: Echoplex sighting

>>I've often been surprised that more DJ's don't loop, I know there have been a few on this list, but it seems pretty rare. The DJ I work with is just getting started with it himself.<<

baffling, isn't it? dj's use some crazy stuff- special mixing desks with tiny samplers built in, but I've never seen or heard of a dj who bought, say, a repeater. maybe electrix didn't do the right sort of promotion, but you'd think a dedicated bpm-able looping device /with rca sockets and an riaa pre-amp onboard/, for heaven's sake....

you can lead a horse to water (&c)....

I've even toyed with the idea of using my repeaters to do remixes and "party tapes" inna dj-stylee by way of demonstrating this area of their capability but I've never been comfortable with the idea of getting credit of any sort for tampering with someone else's work.

it's a dodgy area, morally. dj's get paid for playing/playing with other people's recordings, and then go around acting like rock stars themselves, and that bothers me. I tend to try to figure out how much effort has gone into their work (i.e. have they done anything interesting to the sample or is it just laziness?) before getting judgemental.

basically, most of the dj's I know have confused 'having an encyclopedic knowledge of their own record collection' with 'being interesting and creative'- one man's "rare groove" is another man's scratchy old record that he didn't like the first time he heard it.

in other words, "learn to play a real instrument, you wanker! then you get to pretend to be a rock star...."
but one or two of them do stuff with sequencers/drumboxes and effects that suggest a germ of talent lurking somewhere...

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe