Re: kim's refreshing insight

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Walker/Loop.pooL" <GLOBAL@cruzio.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 22:36:PM
Subject: kim's refreshing insight

> I hear a lot of what Kim is saying (and eloquently put, btw).
>
> The only mitigating factor for me is that
> the music I can create in 20 minutes by using
> Fruity Loops Pro (as a drum machine and crude midi sequencer),
> Tu2 (loop mangler supreme), Kantos (audio triggered synth from
> Antares that is awesome), ACID (where I put it all together)
> and Sound Forge (with a zillion mangling plugins)
> is just astonishing.
>
> I can create sophisticated tracks and pieces that would have
> taken hours or days to create (if at all) 10 years ago in my
> life.
>
> My understanding (and it is probably naive) is that
> you basicaly go A-D,  run it through software and then D-A
> and that this simple model rules all digital processing.
>
> Of course if you are trying to do e-mail and edit simultaneously
> (and I lost a mastering exercise the other day because my pesky
> 56k modem disconnected.....;-) you can't expect for the machine to
> run properly, but in these days of 3 ghz Pentium 4s (and whatever they
> are up to on the Mac side), the processing power is screaming.
>
> Like every instrument, the computer has it's drawbacks and limitations
> but, I have to say, for pound for pound sheer creative potential it is
> the most incredible instrument that I've ever played in my whole life
> (and I've played quite a few).
>
> If some people like DAWs.........that's great
> If some people think there is more JuJu in Analogue
tape.............groovy.
> Truly, it's all good.
>
> I just promised myself I would never buy a closed architecture computer
> instrument
> again in my life.............it's what, frankly, scares me about
purchasing
> a laptop
> (whose CPUs tend to be soldered onto their respective boards making them
> impossible to upgrade).
>
> There, I said it..............lol

Yes indeedy!  Laptops are a scary investment especially considering that
fact!  However I understand this even is changing.  Generic laptop parts
are
available via a few firms in the UK, therefore this must have been the case
in the US for some time now.  I would wager that one could make a generic
laptop for about $500, and the major cost would be the screen.

However, I put THIS to you: Why a laptop?  Why not one of those
keyboard-as-PC kits, with a flat screen monitor?  It might be fairly cheap
to slap one of those together as well, and have a reliable unit at that.
Those of you in the US who've bought hardware lately would know.

Steve Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net/Gallery - Cartoons and Illustrations!