Re: Dragging Instruments Around

Another aspect of the Laptop is the performance issue.  BORING.  I once
went to a big new music fest and my wife and I walked out when a guy
sat down with a laptop and began to produce what seemed like slightly
edgy techno.  (IDM).  We looked at each other and said, "Would it
matter if that was all coming from the CD player in is Laptop?"  The
answer was: NO.

Look at Hans.  That wall of gear is part of the show. So fun to watch
him tame COLUSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT.   Coupled with a sequence of
wardrobe changes that would make Cher jealous, you've got one hell of a
show... even if all his gear fails!  (Sorry to rub it in Hans, I love
you and your music!)

However, I feel that often I'm not that far away from the laptop guy.
At the ascension show we were in the dark in a corner.  I'm positive
that most people weren't aware the music was live.  Didn't really
matter on some level.  A lot of people were there and seemed to be
having fun.  We were the "ambient" reception music, so that's OK.  BUT:
What if I had recorded a really killer set in Digital Performer the
night before, burned it to discs and showed up with a DJ setup. One of
those Pioneer CD players an iBook and a mixer.  Would there have been
any difference?  I'm not sure I think so.  Should I become a DJ of my
own music?  I think people are doing this.  Anyone here doing this?
Could be a good way to go for this type of event.  (where dancing and
socializing are the focus)  When it's more of a show (like Loopstock)
then you go for performance mode.  What do people think?

I saw Bjork live where she had someone who looked like he was
"performing" ProTools while she sung.  OK, there was a string orchestra
too.  Anyway, it worked for me.

Mark Sottilaro