Re: Raison d'etre

Even though DJ performances usually don't float my boat, there are
people who really dig it.  The "live music" market is really more the
"events that promote the consumption of alcohol" culture, so I don't
take it personally.  If it's just a fad, it'll pass.  If it doesn't,
there's something going on of value: figure out what that is and
incorporate it into what you do, or find somewhere that values what you
do.

I agree with Adrian Legg (an electro-acoustic guitarist), quoted below:
you take the music onstage, not the instrument.

TH

[interviewer]: Is this the philosophy behind the kind of--for lack of a
  better word--processing on your recordings and in concert?

LEGG:  The use of toys? Yes.

What’s the purpose of playing a guitar? The purpose is to go on  stage
and communicate with people, to deliver some kind of emotional message,
to affect  their lives emotionally at that point. Whether it lasts
doesn’t so much matter, as  long as something changes in them at the
point when you play.

...And the bottom line is that you must be able to take the music
onstage, not the guitar. The first imperative for the musician is
communication, not with other musicians  but with other people. So the
line is: How am I going to do that, how am I going to  deliver this
kind of emotional message on a stage?