Re: talkative audiences

I find it totally amazing how many people, many of them "musicians", who
do
just that: walk up and ask very pointed questions about what your
footpedals
are, how they work etc., right in the midst of a performance!
Fortunately,
with looping, I can, sometimes, let the loop run and answer their
questions
(they always seem to think the source is from the pedals...not my bass,
not
the rack behind me!)

Last year I did a show with Andre LaFosse and Hans Lindauer (post
Loopstock)
and a rather lovely, though completely inebriated, young lady walked up on
the stage, sat in Andre's chair (he had left the stage leaving me solo
looping), and proceeded to tell me, in superfluous detail, how beautiful
my
music was, how she always loved musicians...blah blah blah...and then
asked
just how I was doing all that.  This is while I was playing...improvising
actually...with a rather dense and syncopated loop!  Quite amusing,
really,
if a bit of a distraction.  I seem to recall Andre and Hans having a good
laugh over it all!  Though I must say it was quite nice to recieve that
sort
of attention, and positive feedback...maybe she could've waited 'til a
break?

In addition to looping, I do quite a few gigs as a sideman.  Mostly jazz,
but also some R&B, rock eeven country.  At every gig, and this is the
truth,
at least one person will come up and engage in a conversation, to request
particular song, WHILE WE ARE PLAYING!  They usually, for some reason
unknown to me, pick the bass player for this rappor...probably 'cos the
band
leader is singing, and (maybe) they feel it would be impolite to interrupt
him/her.  But this last wekend, while gigging with a jazz quartet, this
happened to the singer three times....each while he was in the middle of a
song!
The same thing happened to me...four different times...and, mind you, I
was
reading charts for the whole gig.  Very tricky to sight read "The Shadow
Of
Your Smile" or "take five", play, and acknowledge the presence and
questions
of a stranger at the same time!

Though rude, inconsiderate and distracting, it does keep you on your toes,
and is always worth at least a chuckle from the rest of the band.

Max