Re: Palmware (was Re: today, the moment of truth)

I guess I'll give a short product info report since the app is essentially
finished.

I call it EDPDA - a Palm Powered Librarian/Assistant for the EDP.  It
include five functions:

1) Configure/Operate EDP - remotely control and configure your EDP.  This
interface looks and acts like the EDP's front panel.  It even responds to
short vs. long button presses.  It includes several enhancements, however.
a) You can directly view and adjust each preset.  b) You can select and
change values via drop-down boxes and spin buttons.

2) Display EDP Status - sort of a scoreboard display.  It shows ALL the
parameters for a given preset (or the "play state") on a single screen.
The
display is updated once per second so the data is "live".  You can also
adjust any parameter.

3) Preset Librarian - saves the EDP's local and global presets onto your
handheld.  When you hotsync, they are also saved to your PC or Macintosh.
It's bidirectional - you can restore your EDP presets from the saved values
on your handheld.  Unlike the EDP, EDPDA is not limited to 16 local presets
and 1 global preset.  You can save and restore as many local and global
presets as you have memory space on your handheld.

4) Sample Dump Librarian - digitally saves and restores your loops to your
handheld.  Like the Preset Librarian, your loop will be backed up to your
PC
or Mac when you hotsync.  Also, the number of loops you can save and
restore
is limited only by your handheld's memory size.

5) MIDI PC Mapper - Since most MIDI footpedals only send Program Change
commands, they are unsuitable for controlling the EDP.  MIDI PC Mapper
translates Program Change commands to Note-on/-off or CC commands so that
you can use inexpensive footpedals with the EDP.  You can also send PC
commands to load the local presets stored on your handheld into your EDP.

Requirements: Nearly any handheld running Palm OS 3.1 or later.  The Zire
and Tungsten T are currently not supported.  You also need a MIDI adapter
for your handheld capable of sending and receiving MIDI.  Most MIDI
adapters
require a serial (not USB) cradle or hotsync cable.

EDPDA is designed to use the lowest cost equipment available.  For example,
my primary handheld is a Palm IIIx that I bought used for $30.  I built the
MIDI adapter for another $30.

Oh, yeah.  I plan on selling EDPDA but for a low-cost, too.  Probably
between $40 and $30.

Hope others find this interesting.  And the program useful.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mail.worldserver.com