ambient live gig equipment.

greetings.

 I changed my account - havent followed list for a while now.
anyway I am now back and have some questions to make about current looping situation in side of equipments.

 First couple words about our project to explain my needs.:

Rihmasto is experimental ambient project from Finland (founded 1996).  We are two member project: Jarkko Lahti is the man behind keyboards mainly
and he has all the musictheory needed and he is the one who took piano lessons for years and years just to forget them :) Me besides I am mainly the
person who is behind samples, effecting, looping, synth triggering and other misc leftovers from Jarkko.

 Our projects website is (SPAMSPAM) www.rihmasto.com and there is some music that we have made (a lot of mp3's).
Currently we are planning DVD with surround sound - this is studioproject where is very little live looping if at all. But we do play live gigs as well
and there I need some advice to expand our current setup with some sort of box that works for looping (besides computer with 6 channel output).

 Please check our music so you know that this is really ambient, droney soundsurfaces... most our live gigs are totally experimental improvised during
set.

 About our current all the time changing equipment list (most own some on loan).:

Korg (Wavestation, 01/W, Polysix, Electribe ER-1) synths
Yamaha AW4416 digital workstation/mixer
Roland JP8000 synth
Behringer MX602A and MX802A mixers
Behringer Virtualizer PRO effect
Alesis Midiverb II effect
Lexicon MXP15 multieffect (or what it is - belongs to Jarkko and never remember model number anyway that with many pedal connectors)
Didgeridoo's, diy drums...
CD's, MD's, DAT's as needed
PC /w AMD XP2000+, 512Mb, lot of HD, E-Magic EMI 2/6 usb soundcard... (can be MAC Powerbook G3 400Mhz 128Mb when needed)
etc. dont remember all :)

 Because style of our music we have used prerecorded and manipulated samples on Cd's etc. but have not been able to control over them except
some basic effects found from Virtualizer etc. and EQ :) but those are almost readymade before but on CD... anyway I want to expand from this,
get more control over samples with somekind of effect.. perhaps KAOSS PAD or similar would be one but I prefer something looping device so I could
use live recordings and other things on set. Also giving up using CD's would be nice things to do...

 We have next gig next month and need to make setup for that. I plan to do some basic surround experimental things since I know the guy who mixes
evening and I know that he can make it work for quadrophonic surround if needed... Anyway I would like to leave CD's home :)

 I can use PC on set as I have used before but usually its just something I use over loops, samples and what Jarkko does play.
It's like Jarkko plays some tunes, drones and controls them.. I add some samples / loops that works with it and Jarkko lives with it and again my turn to
react that. kind of interesting since you never know what next happens (I have quite big collection of sounds for each gig but use only perhaps 1% of them).

 Perhaps some prepared vinylplayers and tapeplayers would work with this but dont have anything any longer since those keep getting malfunctions.. :)

 Now for final words and questions what I would like to ask from you who have worked with looping tools and know what suites best for our kind of project.
What is currently best and cheapest choice (need to expand mics and other equipment over loopingtoy :) for ambient looping. Making seamless loops and
soundsurfaces man can control during live gigs.

 Also if I need to use software only (as I need before getting hardware) what would you prefer for me? Have used "Back To Basics" for mac but it is too
simple and not really that interactive as I would like it to be.

 Also good working tips for ambient looping overall..

thanks,
Jukka Andersson
ambient project rihmasto
FINLAND