Re: microphones

>You're kidding, rihgt (sic)? "Down in price"?!
>Musician's Friend has them for $899!!!! PLEASE
>tell me there's something less expensive than
>that available!

There are plenty of microphones to choose from. Someone asked
for advice on types, it may or may not have been the writer quoted above.
Have fun shopping. You know, at a gig in a
little smokey hole-in-the-wall place last night, this great
big drunk fella grabbed my microphone (the other guitarist
was singing at the time) and he started to howl into it. It
wasn't loud enough for him, so he started fumbling for the
switch to turn it on with. I started to laugh. He never did find it.

I think every studio should have a secret weapon, so to speak. A gem.
Something you pull out when you need to capture
the essence of a performance or moment. All crafts have their associated
prices. Those mahogany Grado headphones look nice. Some are $700.00.
Volvos are nice too. They start around $30,000.00. Boss makes a looper
that gets players up and running for a couple hundred. If you were to ask
what looper to buy, most folks here, myself included, would tell you to
consider the EDP, regardless of the price. Craftsmanship is more difficult
to achieve than the customer realizes.
 It's like that scene in Mansfield Park where some of the rich folks are
relocating and need a cart to move their stuff from point A to point B. It
happened to be during harvest time.
They couldn't find a cart, even from the peasants, to save their life. No
amount of money could pry the cart from the people who needed them. In the
same way, you can't buy
brains. The people (engineers) who create these amazing tools
should be amply rewarded. (Unfortunately, there's a lot more involved than
them: read Atlas Shrugged for starters.) So, when putting together
something that is going to last a lot longer than your mortal body, buying
the best is, again in my opinion, a far better way to go than buying the
quick and
dirty. $799.00 or &899.00 for a supurb microphone that will bristle with
the energy that you feed it is worth it. Many nice performances were
captured by a needle scratching a wax
disc once upon a time. I'm sure they would have used a Neumann if they had
had one.

I'm tired of writing this. All lies and jest still a man hears what he
wants to hear and disregards the rest...la la
l'la. (I'm thankful someone used good microphones on those
 guys.)

No kidding here, lad.