RE:looping percussionists

Hello loop culture,

Wanted to respond to Paul's question. I am one of those loopers that is
not a guitar player, but a percussionist/
monophonic analog synth. player. Here are my two cents on some of my
percussion
looping adventures.

The biggest hurdle for me is taming the Mic- mixer-EDP-monitor problem;
because, the monitor is constntly feeding the mic. which continues to be
recorded into the EDP resulting, at best, as an overthickening of the
loop. At worst, horrible feedback rips off my head.

Solutions:
If I'm recording I monitor through headphones. Live is a different
situation, so I use a sm57 which is a very good uni-directional mic.
that decreases feedback potential. And as soon as I'm done with my mic
level sources (which usually is after the first or second pass) I mute
that channel and loop the line level sources.
An in ear monitor would be perfect if you have many mic level sources or
need to use a more sensistive mic.

Steven