Re: Tubes versus Modeling Caged Death Match

mark wrote:

> So, you're point (I think) is that the clown (or the model) is in the
> eye of the beholder, eh?  If that is your point, I think I'll agree.  I
> was listening to the Variax's sitar model, and I thought they sounded
> great, a lot better than any synth sitar I've heard.  However, I've
> never owned a sitar, or played one, so what I think is a good model,
> might be a bad model if you're Ravi Shankar.  Since I hate clowns,
> anyone I see dressed as a clown is close enough to a clown for me to
> say, it's good enough.  Since I like Sitars, but can't afford a good
> one or find time to learn and play one, I'd take a Variax or what seems
> equally as good, the Roland VG-88.  Actually, I'd for sure go with the
> Roland, as I already have the hex pickup, so that makes it one less
> thing to have around.
>
> My guess is companies like Line6 mostly hedge the bet that the dozen or
> so amp or guitar models they give you for $400 are "good enough" as
> most people don't have 12 tube amps or 12 guitars.  Maybe they should
> call their devices, "amp aproxamators."
>
> So this is where the Pod and other similar devices really shine.  They
> give you a lot of decent variety for the dollar, as someone earlier
> wrote.  Maybe a few get close, maybe some sound better in some ways.
> Nothing is *exact* as even batches of tubes vary from one to another.
>
> Now I'm going to do a mime simulation and shut up!
>
> Mark Sottilaro
>
> On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 04:29  PM, Steve Lawson wrote:

I got a Roland VG-8 when they were brand new.  I don't use it much these
days
but the string instrument sounds, banjo, sitar, koto, etc.  are pretty
cool.
I still use the bass sounds for recording.  The synth-type sounds are also
quite useful.
    If someone made me a good offer I might be willing to sell it.

John
www.johnmazzarella.com