Re: DJ Rescue

----- Original Message -----
From: <Paulzric@aol.com>
> Recently bought a turntable--a belt drive Stanton STR8-20--simply to
>start
> capturing my albums to CD. Anyway, to make a long story short, the high,
sibilant
> notes are killing the mix. What is wrong? I have a compressor set to
>lightly
catch
> these enormous signals, but it's still not enough. On the turntable
>right now
is Derek
> and the Dominoes, and every time EC Sings an S Sound, it's a blast of
SSSSSSXXXXX
> times 10.
>
> I thought that by buying a $100.00 turntable, I'd be able to at least
>play my
old
> albums. They are clean. No scratches, new needle.

Are you feeding the phono cartridge to a phono preamp?  I.e. is the RIAA
curve
being applied to your signal before going to your computer?

Whay are you compressing at all?  In order to make audio fit into vinyl
grooves,
a LOT of compression has already been applied.  And compression can
actually
cause sibilance problems.

Upgrade your phono cartridge.  The one that came with your $100 turntable
probably sucks.

I've heard an LP sound fantastic with a $50 phono cartridge.  The $1000
turntable supposedly made up the difference.  I don't know if this was
sales
hype.  I've never investigated this phenomenon.  Ii was mid '80s and I was
looking for my first CD player when this hi-fi sales dude tried to steer
me to
the $1000 turntable.  Apply as many grains of salt to this particular
suggestion
as you feel are required.

Cheers,

Bill
Group!]
Host of the AM/FM Show on WMUH Allentown  91.7 FM every other Saturday at
6 am.
Host of Afterglow on WMUH every Thursday morning from 8:00 to 9:30.
http://soundscapes.us/~bill/amfm
http://soundscapes.us/~bill/afterglow
Listen on-line to WMUH at http://www.muhlenberg.edu/wmuh  and click  REAL
AUDIO