Re: looping and music (was why pot before looping?)

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 10:01  pm, Squid Loop wrote:

> I am curios as to how many people here consider
> themselves loopers as apposed to a guitarist or
> bassist or percussionist or DJ etc. that incorporates
> loops into their music?

I am a looper first, and a violinist second. Technically, I am not
actually that gifted a player....my style sucks when you compare me
with a real pro. I cannot play in studio's, laying down tracks - its
too sterile for me... looping is really my only form of musical
expression. It just happens that the violin is my main instrument.

When I play solo (even without looping rigs), I hear harmonies inside
my head that play along with what I am playing... I hear
repetitions.... rhythm... the works. I really do think that looping is
separate from being a musician.

I think I've proved this in some of my workshops, whereby I have had
some incredibly gifted violinists (Conservetoire de Paris, students of
Didier Lockwood, ex students of Stephan Grapelli etc etc) who I have
tried to teach live looping to... and some just cannot get into it.
These people can play anything with anyone, but on their own, even when
they completely understand the concept of looping, it does not work for
them.

Aaaggghhh.... its so hard to explain.... Does anyone else understand
what I'm trying to say? Can anyone word it better than I can?