Re: Dig if u will my research paper Chapter2

At 10:21 AM 5/26/2003, Geoff Smith wrote:
>Chapter 2
>The Pre-History Of Live-Looping and The Figures That Would Inspire Its
>Creation.
>Musique Concrete ­ The Beginnings of Tape based music.

etc etc

>Cage

you mention musique concrete and then go on to discuss Cage, but what
about
Karlheinz Stockhausen? He is certainly a big influence on electronic music
in general, and it seems to me more relevant to looping than Cage.

Stockhausen was also a big influence on very loop oriented groups like
Can,
Tangerine Dream, and Kraftwerk, as well as Eno a bit later. I think Can
actually used looping with tapes, while Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk used
analog arpeggiators and sequencers to get similar effects. I think all of
those went on to have a far bigger influence on loop based music today
than
any of the more academic composers of the sf tape center. That krautrock
scene, and I think especially Kraftwerk, was a key foundation for loop
based music like techno, hip hop, new wave rock, etc.

kim