Re: An Open Apology to Kim

At 03:08 AM 5/31/2003, Stuart Wyatt wrote:
>Live looping is a personal journey for each musician, and with live
>looping comes different styles. I consider myself a live looper - Do I
>sound like Rick? Does Rick sound like me? Absolutely not. I can give you
>many many examples just from my students alone.
>
>Live looping is *NOT* a style of music, it is way to create music...

Great! I'm glad I finally convinced you.

>I'm reading your responses Kim, and it seems to me as though there is a
>lot of tension that could actually force what you fear - a split and loss
>of identity in the looping community.

Tension? I've been on vacation for 4 weeks and I'm pretty relaxed at this
point. For me these discussions are really enjoyable and stimulating, not
tense. I find it sad that ideas can't be discussed and debated without
some
people taking it personally and getting emotional about it.

I guess we could just make safe posts about line mixers.

>I am a live looper. I am also a looper. Whats the problem? Cant we live
>in
>harmony?

So far as I can remember and have experienced, "Looper" has always meant
the same thing as what you guys are now calling "Live Looper". It's
certainly always meant that here at Looper's Delight. It's used that way
in
musician magazines. I can see how it might be useful when discussing with
an ordinary journalist to add the "Live" part, but the term "Looping"
always meant the same thing in the musician world. That's another reason
this effort to create some sort of separation between them seems really
strange and forced to me.

I'm the one who's arguing against all these arbitrary separations,
remember?

>I'm getting up to the stage where if things don't relax a little onlist,
>I'll be unsubbing and will purely reside on livelooping.com. Is that what
>you want? I'm confused.

That would be sad. But this statement again leaves me really confused
about
what this livelooping.com site is all about. Isn't it supposed to be for
promoting to the public? In harmony and complimentary to Looper's Delight?
One for musicians and one for press/public? Doesn't that mean the musician
oriented posts you usually make here would not be appropriate there? So
what would you be talking about when you are there?

kim