RE: Samplers

Title: RE: Samplers

>>I'm more apt to buy a unit that I think has
a lot of interesting or usable sounds and go from there.<<

I stopped using samplers about 8 months ago. a couple of weeks before going to the states for our first gigs there, I bought an esi4000, the idea being that we'd use it instead of a pair of esi32s we have. I fitted it with 128Mb of ram and a syquest and it broke down while we were rehearsing. in a fit of pique, I decided to port all the important stuff onto a ram card for an alesis s4 module instead. this worked fine, and aswell as forcing us to be ruthless with the number and size of the samples, allowed us greater flexibility in terms of modulation and patch building/layering.

so last night I finally got around to some esi maintenance- fixing the syquest drives, migrating some banks onto zip instead and so forth, and in the course of this work, I had cause to audition a few of the longer samples. I was horrified to be reminded just how sterile they sounded, like little recordings of something rather than a note from an instrument (and this from a mellotron owner!). so they are all back in storage. I now have three s4's, a supernova rack, an expanded audity module and a planet earth. somehow, they feel more like instruments than the samplers do.

just my three pennies worth.

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe