Re: Anyone using a laptop for audio recordig ?

--- David Swain <d.swain@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Im lookig to slim down my recording gear, i use Steinberge nuendo on the
>pc .
> I'm looking into getting a laptop, but i am finding it hard to get any
>reliable
> figures on track count, etc
>
> Anyone using a laptop for recording ?

I don't use one myself, but I believe a lot of the companies that produce
recording software include a tool which you can use to estimate how many
tracks
your computer is capable of. Perhaps you could take the tool with you when
shopping for a laptop and try it out?

My understanding is that the biggest problem you'll run into is the speed
of the
small form factor hard drives they put into laptops. Most of them are 5400
rpm or
slower, creating more latency in getting the data you want on and off of
them
then a faster drive would. Plus, you generally only get one drive, so you
have
your OS competing for I/O with your recording software.

I've heard of people doing recording on laptops though, so I know it's
possible,
so good luck. Maybe it'll do what you need (though perhaps less then what
you
might ultimately want?).

Greg