OT: Seeking advice - Guitar distortion plugins.

Can anyone recommend a plugin, or series of them, for getting a very
gainey,
gated, guitar distortion (ala Meshuggah)?  Preferably freebie plugins, but
don't care.  DirectX is my preferred API.

I had asked about hardware solutions to this previously, but am now instead
trying to get the most out of my computer (since the CPU usage meter seems
to top out at 50%, why not tax it to the max?).

-J