Re: Frippertronics and Soundscapes

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 04:33  PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:
> Not soundscaping or Frippertronics (except one cut), but the
> Fripp/Sylvian
> work from the early 1990's (The First Day/Damage) was everything that
> the
> 1990's King Crimson should have been.

i feel the same way. it's not a very common feeling though. nowadays
Bob and Dave are not speaking to one another. very sad.

> And if you saw them live, which I did not, it evidently looked just
> like a
> 1990's Crimson show with respect to Robert Fripp.

yes. i have the laserdisc of the show, and that's pretty much true.
Michael Brook is more present in the mix on the video, i prefer it to
the Damage album. however, during "God's Monkey" he doesn't play a
shred-solo after the looping, Dave starts singing again after Bob
builds his loops.

> At the Lanois concert in San Francisco, incidentally, Brian Blade was
> more
> or less in darkness most of the time.

is that the same Brian Blade who plays with Joshua Redman?

speaking of Joshua Redman, he's doing quite a bit of cool looping and
processing lately. i did an organ rental a couple months ago and both
he and Sam Yahel (the bass-playing organist/keyboardist) had Repeaters
and significant amounts of processing. it was pretty cool ... very
down-and-dirty with smooth elements.

---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com