Re: Akai Heardush, (band looping, sit or stand, etc.)

--- Kim Flint <kflint@loopers-delight.com> wrote:
> At 02:23 PM 6/20/2003, Jesse Ray Lucas wrote:
> >We may be able to appreciate music emitting from a sedentary body but,
>like
> >it or not, MTV has taught the world that "real" music comes from people
>who
> >are standing up with their guitars hanging down at their knees.  Sit or
> >stand, we've got to live with that.
>
> I thought MTV just taught us what qualities to look for in a roommate,
>what
> to expect on spring break, and which model of car will get those ladies
> with the really short pants to dance for you.

Indeed.

> I'm pretty sure people were standing up to play music and using guitars
>as
> crotch extenders before MTV came along, but I was very young then. I've
> seen pictures though.

Perhaps, and people were sitting to play long before MTV too.

Whatever happened to the days when you bought a record based on the music
that
was recorded on it, rather then what the performer looked like, or how
they held
their instrument, or the position of their body when they recorded it?

> Last night I saw Estradospere open for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Wow
>that
> was fun. Not much sitting though, despite the use of looping in a band
> context. I learned from the Sleepytime drummer that if you really must
>sit
> down to play your instrument, it is much better if you wear a big donkey
> mask for the entire show.

Some of us look that way even without the mask...

Greg