Re: Where are they now

At 12:29 PM -0700 6/26/03, Terry Blankenship wrote:
>Kim's mention of the SF Tape Center got me wondering
>where all the people are today, that originally
>started experimenting with tape loops. All the people
>who were experimenting with tape loops around the
>world pre-1973.
>
>How many of them are still making music, and what are
>they into now?

There was a sort of "inner circle" at the Tape Center and a group of
others who regularly participated in their concerts and sometimes
used the facilities.

Mort Subotnick and Ramon Sender Barayon were the two founders. Mort
just celebrated his 70th birthday and has never slacked off as a
composer and teacher. His work evolved from electronic to
electroacoustic to multimedia work and he has several recent CDs and
DVDs. Ramon has devoted himself more to writing than to music since
the 1970s but still does perform on occasion. He runs a peformance
series at the Noe Valley Ministry in San Francisco.

Pauline Oliveros became a mainstay of the Tape Center shortly after
its founding and when ti moved to Mills College she became the first
director of the Center for Contempoary Music at Mills. She then
became a professor of music at UC San Diego and in 1980 left academia
to focus on composing, performing, and giving workshops. She has kept
a very full schedule and in recent years has held a variety of
part-time teaching positions at Mills, Oberlin, and now at Rensselaer.

Terry Riley was active at the Tape Center in the early days and has
had an active career worldwide. He lives in the Sierra foothills and
travels extensively (he performed recently here in Los Angeles).

Tony Martin, a painter and light artist, who is perhaps best known
for his "psychedelic" liquid projection effects, lives and teaches in
New York City.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com