Re: Paul Dresher / Was Re: essential loop recordings

Kim Flint wrote:

> wow, I actually have "Slow Fire". I bought it used years ago and forgot
> about it. (it's even autographed!) I went and listened to it again just
> now. It's really something how intricate the looping is on this. Paul was
> way, way beyond the sound texture thing at that point.

I saw "Slow Fire" performed live back in 1988 (over half my lifetime
ago...!) and it was a very, very powerful thing.  This was around the
time I started getting into electronic music (and well before I played
guitar) and I was really taken with the way electronics were being used
in an obvious, engaging, MUSICAL way, that was woven into the texture of
the performance itself.

I didn't know anything about the concept of "looping" at the time, but I
knew it was really great music, and I could tell (even in my
technologically uninformed state) that Paul was using his gear in a
fabulously dynamic manner.  And there's nothing ambient about it...

Two thumbs up for 'Slow Fire'.  Very, very highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YWU3/starkland/002-3859613-1124848

--Andre LaFosse
The Echoplex Analysis Pages:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP