Re: Paul Dresher / Was Re: essential loop recordings

At 8:34 PM -0700 6/29/03, Kim Flint wrote:

>For the essential listening page, I think we should use something
>that people can actually get relatively easily. So "This Same
>Temple" seems like a good choice for that. Since I guess you
>actually have it, can I get you to write up a little review for the
>page?

If I have anything it would be an early cassette with just "This Same
Temple" and "Liquid and Stellar Music." These are probably not even
the same recordings as on the Lovely LP. As I recall Paul made up
this cassette with a recording of the piano piece performed by the
Labrecque sisters at Festival d'Automne in Paris in 1981. The guitar
performance is probably from the same concert.

I remember when Paul was recording "Liquid and Stellar" for the
album, with Paul Tydelski in San Diego. He was actually playing the
parts straight through rather than using the looping system. This was
problematic because the recordings were too clean and the high
frequencies were building up. Parts were losing definition. They had
to low-pass everything, which should certainly ring a bell with many
loopers. I don't know if the final recording use the looper or not,
but it's easy enough to ask Paul.

I'm not sure I've ever  heard a recording of "Destiny." I know I
heard it live at least once, in Kuumbwa in Santa Cruz.

>The cd was actually recorded in 1992, so maybe they updated some
>aspects of it between 1985 and then.

The 1985 performance was Act I of "Slow Fire, an early sketch that
was subsequently developed into the full-length piece you have. It
was one of several commissioned "micro-operas" premiered at the Mark
Tape Forum as part of the New Music America Festival. The other
pieces were by Phil Glass and Carla Bley? (featuring Jack Bruce!).
There was an even earlier performance of Paul Dresher Ensemble with
Gene Reffkin and Rinde Eckert, but I have very little memory of that
one (or even if it had any connection to Slow Fire).

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com