Re: Joshua Redman and the Repeater

> also, I was just thinking, I caught the end of Joshua
> Redman's set at Bonnaroo this month. Both he and his
> keyboardist (Sam Yahel) had Repeaters i believe, Joshua's

I had heard the same thing and was excited to see Joshua and Sam using
repeaters in a jazz context.  So I hit up their show in SF a couple of
months ago.  Its true both of these guys have repeaters in their racks.
However, I was disappointed to see that it was very much separated out,
like
here's my jazz stuff, ok stop, now here's my weird ass looping and highly
reverbed noise art, ok stop, and we're back to jazz.  My take is that the
elastic band has not really figured out how to integrate looping into what
they do and are still experimenting heavily to figure out how it fits into
the puzzle.  Personally I'm excited to see what they come up with, and I'm
glad to see that they're experimenting!

I would have loved to see Sam Yahel especially, use his repeater to lay
down
some basslines - there's no bass player in that band and he was playing
basslines all night.  Unfortunately, both his basslines and his
comping/soloing suffered - its hard to play interesting basslines while
also
playing something else, and its hard to play an interesting solo while
playing a bassline.  It just seems so obvious that at least for one solo,
he
might loop a really cool bassline and solo over it!    Even cooler would be
if he looped a bassline in C and then pitch shifted it with his midi
footpedals to follow the chord progression of the song -  I was just
wishing
I could spend an hour with those guys and show them some of this stuff...

Jon