Re: Joshua Redman and the Repeater

> > reverbed noise art, ok stop, and we're back to jazz.  My take is that
>
> this is because Sam Yahel has not taken the step of bringing the
> looping rack, nord, and bass synth into the organ rig. you will
> _always_ get that jarring style clash when switching instrument rigs
> like that mid-set.

well Joshua had full access to the electronics all the time, and he only
used his rack to make "sounds" in between songs.  He didn't really
integrate
it into his ensemble playing at all (at the show I saw!)

> > some basslines - there's no bass player in that band and he was playing
> > basslines all night.  Unfortunately, both his basslines and his
> > comping/soloing suffered - its hard to play interesting basslines
>
> i must disagree, his playing did _not_ suffer because of the "division
> of attention" (as Fripp calls it). Bass-playing organists (or "jazz

You are right of course!  To my ear I just felt a lot missing when he went
over to his electro rig and played left hand basslines with some patch that
had no definition whatsoever - coulda been the sound design at the show I
was at too.  When he took solos on the electro rig, I could just tell he
was
capable of so much more! His B3 playing was fine though.

anyway, my point was, I think that this band is one to watch out for in the
future and they're just starting to scratch the surface of what they might
achieve with looping.
Jon