From: Travis Hartnett [mailto:tiktok@sprintmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:02 PM
To: loopers-delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re:Digital Out on MD

So what format is this digital out?  After it's been converted from ATRAC
on
the disc, it gets turned into analog and then redigitized, or what?  This
sounds like it'd defeat Sony's thinking behind the MD format.

TravisH

At 03:59 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>MD units don't have digital out because the audio is stored in a
>compressed, proprietary format.  If you had digital out, you'd end up with
>ATRAC data, which doesn't do you much good, since I'm unaware of a program
>that can read ATRAC format.

Incorrect, as home units do have digital outputs.  Just the portables that
lack digital  out.