live midi looping

I thought I saw (back in the late 80's probably) a product that was a really inexpensive midi/audio codec. I'd love to explore the limits of what could be done with something crude like that- I'm sure it would suggest some new tangents. If I could afford a Kyma, I'd be too distracted to imagine midi loopers, I think  8-)  at least for a year or so. (send donations to my paypal account)

Even if one got something like this going, without some kind of intelligent algorythm to reduce velocity values and then delete notes when they fall below a certain velocity or volume value the system would overload and do "something" eventually (that would be interesting).

If one were to record and delay dc control voltages (I know of at least two examples of functioning units based on this principle for driving analog synths back in pre-midi days) wouldn't that necessarily exclude polyphonic midi, or am I missing something. If one had to multiplex voltages to get polyphony, I don't know how that would compare to converting midi to audio in complexity.

Best,

Tim F