majik little red box.

Hey, i figured this crowd might know this one.

Just got home from seeing the Black Frames and Skerik had this majik little red box on a stand.  The box looked to be about the size of your standard Boss stompbox, more or less.  He'd wave his hand somewhere near the little red box and it would generate some sort of basic raw sine wave or something.  The closer he moved his hand to it, the higher the pitch.  I figured that it might be some sort of ribbon controller, but i was unsure whether the controller might have some sort of wave generator in it or not (or else triggering another box that i didn't see)....

Anyone know what my vague description might be referring to?

cheers,
jim.