Ebay (Was Re: Selecting vendors)

>Something no one has mentioned is buying from Ebay vendors.  You
>often can find people with new items that are in stock when no one
>else has them and at a lower price than many.  A lot of them have
>decent return policies and ship reasonably fast.  The great thing
>about these people is FEEDBACK.  How is this vendor?

I write the following based on my experiences with ebay in the last
12 hours. Without a doubt, ebay has its upside. Here is its downside:

I decided to buy a new Yamaha Motif ES 6 keyboard. They aren't
available yet in the US. However, they are already available in
Japan. A dealer (offshore?) on ebay is already making them available
to people in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) who want one.
I did some checking around. His feedback is impeccable. He was fast
and responsive to my emails--although I was never entirely clear
exactly where he was located (both US and Japanese offices, I was
told), or how he was getting the product I wanted. His price was a
bit better than what US retail would be. Fast shipping. What more
could someone want?

Well, I inquired about the warranty. He would honor the warranty. I
figured, ok, no problem--most likely anyway. But today, after talking
with a US dealer about my purchase, I was sternly warned that If I
buy this or *any* Yamaha product from an unauthorized dealer, I would
be a virtual pariah.  No support at all, including technical support,
which I will surely need at some point. No service--ever! They were
telling me they would be unable even to touch the unit if anything
should ever go wrong. No nothing. I would be left completely out in
the cold. Furthermore I was warned (perhaps a scare tactic?) that the
units may not be the same as the US releases. It may have software
bugs or glitches, a different, earlier OS, and so on. In short, I was
urged not to go through with the purchase and to try to get a refund
ASAP.

This, my looping friends, is the downside. I'm not sure who to
believe. The dealer I was talking with (and from whom I made an
initial purchase) is almost without question reliable and honest in
his dealings with buyers. It is, however, a "grey market" product, if
you ask Yamaha, and they simply will not touch it, and they would
have nothing to do with any customer who purchased such a product.

Here's the kicker, however. Yamaha knows about this particular
dealer, and yet they offer no warnings to consumers about purchasing
from him or others like him. They know about ebay, of course. Do they
make any attempt to cancel his auctions? Maybe they have no legal
recourse for doing so?? Also, I even spoke with technical support
people and mentioned to them that the ES was already for sale on
ebay. The reply?? "Oh, well, yeah, they are already out in Japan.
He's probably just getting them there." No warning, no mention of the
product not being supported--nothing. What's up with that? I just
don't get it.

In any case, I'm now sitting on pins and needles waiting on my
refund. I also would've/could've gotten a free PLG plug in board with
my purchase--which is quite tempting indeed. And yet, in the long
run, I will feel infinitely better about my purchase if it is deemed
"legit" by and through a US dealer, however coerced I may feel about
buying in that fashion.

Any thoughts/comments?

Jeff