Re: Dangerous (learning) curves (was Fast & Trashy, Slow and Chaste)

This discussion brings to mind my slight option anxiety.  I went to the Red Room in Baltimore for the first time a few weeks ago and was invited to participate in their monthly open electronic jam session.

I have enough gear to perform, but what to do with it is the problem.  One of the performers at the Red Room on my first visit was Hans Tammen.  He uses a MIDI guitar to communicate with a Max/MSP patch running on his laptop - pretty much the same thing I was going to do.  On top of that, he's so much more skilled at it ;), both with respect to guitar chops and computer/Max/MSP chops.

I want to do something interactive, involving my laptop, but I'm not sure the pure interacting "trad" instrument-and-computer thing is the way to go.  George Lewis (trombonist/computer musician) is another player I saw do that sort of thing and do it at a very high level.  I'm thinking it would be fun to run a sequencer on a Palm OS device (something lending itself to improvisation like SpinPad) and use that to send data to a Max/MSP patch on my laptop and have my guitar control parameters.Hence the option anxiety... ;).

Paolo

Do you Yahoo!?