RE: Looping with a PC laptop... which one?

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cox [mailto:dougcox@pdq.net]
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 7:26 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Looping with a PC laptop... which one?

Mark,

>*SOME* Dell's have a known issue with the grounding of the power supply
jack,

I've yet to use a dell laptop that didn't exhibit this. However, I have
not had a chance to try the 2003 models.

>which causes hummmm in the USB audio output.

Correction for Mark - It causes this in >all< audio outputs -
>including< USB. It's a mystery how this is occuring, since one would
assume that a USB port is simply sharing it's earth with the laptop.

Ground lifts are no good. I've also tried cutting the ground on a
regular audio cable, but it didn't help.

>  I know for a fact that Latitudes
>have this problem, but I can't speak for other models.

Has anyone seen a model that >didn't< exhibit this? Otherwise, I think
we can assume that they all do it.

> Dell is very tight
>lipped about the issue, but when pressed, a good tech support person
will tell
>you that it's a documented problem.

No kidding.

>  The fix?  Either use the battery, or put a >3-prong -> 2-prong
adapter on the >power supply cord.

Has anyone verified this 'fix'?

> Someone can probably
>explain how that might be dangerous...  I'm an electro-peasant, so I
don't know.

Running an expensive computer in shady clubs and warehouses with archaic
wiring, and no ground sounds like a recipe for a fried computer.

>Personally, if I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't buy a Dell for
audio.

I'll second that. Just stay away - we aren't part of their target
market.

bIz