RE: RE: EDP in/out mod

Title: RE: RE: EDP in/out mod
At 07:26 AM 9/29/2003, Andreas Willers wrote:
>this is not exactly the topic, but I had the audio path of my Obie EDP
>modified by Drik Baldringer with very good results: increased treble
>response, way better headroom and higher output level to boot. He performs
>this mod on stufdio equipment as well with great results.....

Kim wrote:
I find this hard to believe. What sort of magical circuit is he going to
add that increases headroom or frequency response without changing the A/D
convertors? Is this on the loop audio path or the direct path? I'd really
like to know what this modification is.

Hi Kim,

Dirk Baldringer is a widely respected analog/digital tech and recording engineer in the Cologne area in Germany. He is the only tech I know that is so knowlageable with tube amps that Marshall Amps wanted to hire him (he turned them down because he didn't want to move and ended up designing a model for Hughes & Kettner, they are close by) and at the same time he knows digital stuff almost as well. He made a certain discovery some years ago that increases the frequency response and headroom of digital effects units. He told me it works on the analog side of A/D and D/A conversion and he modified my t.c.electronic G-Force multieffect and the EDP after I repeatedly had complained to him that the sonic quality of these devices did not match that of the t.c. 2290 delay I had used previously.

Of course I do not know much more about it, there are a couple of new chips in my boxes and I certainly do hear a change for the better with this mod. t.c. strongly endorses the integrity of the original signal in the G-Force (one of the most expensive guitar effect boxes around), but they really made some compromises in comparison to the 2290. On the EDP it used to be hard to set the levels right with regards to clipping and the overall sound quality was less than prestine. I posted this on LD before and DT immediately asked me for Dirk's contact, although he doesn't send the original through the EDP, he was just turned off by the lack of output level he gets out of his.

Anyway, Dirk isn't into marketing that much, but he produced a small line of rack gear that incorporates his idea. It's called the "effects legalizer", a lot of studio/rock players in central Europe have one in their "fridge". I was glad that he put mine directly into the effects themselves, saved me space and money. Besides that I can give you no more information; I could only guess that possibly he changes the freq. rolloff towards the sampling frequency?!?

Best, Andreas