Re: Why ask these questions?

hello,

i think that a big reason to ask these questions is to inspire dialogue
about this sound design method.   it ain't exactly easy to compare notes
about my craft at the local hootenanny.   i mean, it can be a little
daunting to try and discuss looping with a guy who thinks you're cheating
if
you use more than 6 strings and some japanese pressboard.   even more
prevalent are listeners who's primary response is "hell, that don't sound
like 'skinnard'" and to whom "you're jes makin that up as you go along" is
negative criticism.  while i do not live in a technological mecca, i
suspect
that most people on this list have similar problems.

getting a handle on what people are doing here helped me define what else
was being done with the tech.   i really don't want to be one of those
people who "invented" a commonly used technique.  staying on this list
makes
me humble.   one of the coolest "new" techniques i have begun using was
something that someone referred to in that hackneyed old topic "repeater
vs.
edp".   i just had sort of missed the whole way slowed down repeater thing.
i find the effect like a real-time granular synth.

i have begun to wonder if there is musician's music and music accessible to
the average joe.   sometime these types cross, but rarely for long.   i
mean, think about taking a poll at the door of a crimson concert asking
each
attendant if they play some sort of instrument.  then do the same thing at
pink floyd concert.  then do the same thing at a white stripes concert.
finding people who can access the work that i do is hard enough.   finding
reasonable critical evaluation is much more difficult.

the most important reasons to me for asking these basic questions (what do
you use, do, want, ect.) is to help find the like minds, out there.  just
recently, this list provided me with a couple of contacts that were
absolutely invaluable in helping me critically evaluate what i was doing.
i cannot overstate the importance of these interactions.   while i do not
(could not) read every post on this list,  the more philosophical and basic
threads are the ones that i am most likely to open.   labyrinthine threads
pursuing the exact settings on a particular footpedal to configure it for
use with a more particular unit; these are the ones that i skip, usually.

i have one for the pot:   who here feels that he is trying to reach the
world, and who has just given up and thinks that looping is mainly for
loopers?   i had a guy come up to me after my last show and tell me "man,
that sampling stuff is the future!"   he liked it but i can't help feel
that
he missed the whole f-ing point.

what do you think?

lance