Re: WHAT COULD WE DO BETTER?...and why should we do it?

on 12/8/03 11:53 PM, max valentino at ekstasis1@hotmail.com wrote:

> Finally?.the nature of looping festivals necessitates there be no
> soundchecks. As we all know, the more gear you bring the more can go
>wrong
> and the more a check IS necessary.

At my first festival (Loopstock 2002), I was on early and though my
equipment wasn't
entirely
cooperative (partially just getting it wired, partially the fact that I'd
decided to
experiment with
having EDPs set to different interface modes), I felt that I couldn't let
myself succumb
technological problems. I don't know how I would have felt if I'd been on
later in the day
and seen
any number of people fight with and at times succumb to their tech. For at
least the first
half of the
performance, I felt like I was in freefall, but I kept on going and people
told me they
couldn't tell.
The video did reveal an inability to make eye contact with the audience --
something that
I've tried
to work on at later gigs -- but I think it's a good discipline to simply
try to play
through as many
technical problems as possible. It's a good pre-show discipline to figure
out how to strip
the
equipment down knowing the constraints of the festival environment.

(Writing this reminds me that I need to put some emphasis on finding a
less noisy
replacement for
my Passac Unity*8 line mixer -- definitely the weak spot in my rig when my
EDPs aren't
behaving
strangely.)

Mark

P.S. My one technical problem at Y2K2 was having the tremolo lock slip on
my Klein
resulting in a
frenzy of trying to figure out why the guitar had suddenly drifted out of
tune when I'd
tuned it up
shortly before going on.