RE: HuMaNiZiNg cold DRUM MACHINES

>I have to go on record, as a drum programming snob,to say  that Matt
>Davignon's set
>at Y2K3 turned me on as much as anything I"ve ever seen a person do with a
>drum machine
>in a live show.  Just a beautiful and quirky and fascinating set, Matt.
>You singlehandely
>rekindled my interest in
>the live use of drum machines with your set.

Aw, shucks. That means a lot, especially when I started my set by saying
"I
apologize in advance if this sucks".

Rick's got a lot of good points with his (article?) on drum machine use,
especially with the point of simplifying things down. I've been listening
a lot of hip-hop lately, and one thing I've found in common about my 2
favorite producers (RZA and El-Producto) is that their actual drum machine
rhythms are amazingly minimal. Rather than bury the rest of the song in
layers and layers of drum programming, they stick to 2 or 3 sounds, and
spend a lot of time making designing their kicks and snares.

A drum machine is not and will never be a live human drummer. If you need
the sound of real drums, I'd suggest you either meet a drummer, or even
better, learn to play real drums enough to fit your needs. As Rick
alluded,
there's a lot of variation in live drums that we often don't notice, but
we
miss it if it's gone. If we ask a drummer to play a repetitive phrase,
there
are minute differences in the timing between beats, as well as minute
differences between each occurence of the same drum. That's why a sampled
drum beat sounds more repetitive than a live drummer playing the same
thing.

So the strategy I'd suggest would be to find ways to bring that variation
back, if you want your drum machine to not sound so "canned". I find that
pitch changers work well, as does a slight amount of distortion. I'm also
fond of using the bit-reduction effect (aka "Lo-Fi") on my Dr. Sample.
Sometimes, using 3 or 4 seperate sounds together as a single "snare" makes
things sound more interesting too.

That's it for now, mostly because it's 5 am and I need to be up in a few
hours.

Get holiday tips for festive fun.