RE: EDP not working

I have to admit that the quality of the SIMM sockets in some EDPs is questionable and in recent years this is due to the difficulty in getting hold of good ones. Most manufacturers stopped making them years ago so you have to search the grey-market for old stock. We actually binned loads of them over the years as returning them was not usually an option. I have always tried to use the best we could get, with nice shiny contacts and good clamps but this only covers the last 5 years production; I can’t comment on pre my involvement, (which may cover your units as most of the ones we made had 16MB as sandwich)

-----Original Message-----
From: wavecomputer360 [mailto:wavecomputer360@gmx.de]
Sent: 08 January 2004 06:41
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: EDP not working

hi folks,

in fact the sockets for the memory are probably the tackiest quality I´ve ever seen. When my friend Frank - who is a noted computer tech - replaced the original 4 mb with 16 mb SIMMs, he didn´t manage to get the original components out of their sockets. Using more force after tender and careful pulling resulted in contact brackets from the sockets getting loose. We were in for a sweat when we fixed this by reseating the contacts and prayed it would work after that. Luckily it did but... the other EDP had exactly the same problem. Luckily I knew what was about to happen.

Upgrading the Jam Man was a good deal easier.

Stephen / [´ramp]